The Wilshere-Dacre Choir
Choir club is after school every Monday from 3.00pm-4.00pm with Mrs Parker. It is free for anyone to join from Year 3 to 6.
The children learn a variety of different songs throughout the year, from popular pop through to folk, rock and classical.
They go carol singing in the community at Christmas and perform at the Hitchin Festival in the Summer. The Autumn term is normally spent learning the challenging but FABULOUS songs for the Young Voices concert at the O2 Arena in January. This trip is the highlight of the choir year.
If you would like to join choir, please come and get a letter from Mrs Parker or speak to the office.
YOUNG VOICES CONCERT - O2 ARENA - WEDNESDAY 31ST JANUARY 2018
- Letters have already gone out informing you of next year's Young Voices concert at none other than the prestigious O2 Arena in London. Thank you for all of your replies. We have now informed the organisers of final numbers so are not able to offer any extra places unfortunately. Coach places have been allocated and spectator tickets have been purchased for you so now we can just look forward to the gig of the year!
- We have already started learning lots of the songs for this amazing concert. Every choir member has been given a copy of all the words they need to learn between now and January. It seems plenty of time, but with Christmas taking up a lot of choir time too, it soon goes quickly! So please do encourage them to sing along at home and learn the words (especially the lesser known ones such as 'Pop Goes the Classics', 'You're in the Band' and 'Stevie Wonderland'.
- If you would like to listen to the songs, follow this link to take you to a website that features them all: http://www.malvern-wells.worcs.sch.uk/yv-2018-backing-track-with-vocals/ (There are also copies of the lyrics on this website.)
- Tickets will be given out after a choir practice just before the event in January so we will make sure they go straight into your hands. T shirts will be given to the children on the morning of the concert for them to change into to avoid any being left at home. So just send the children to school on the day in their normal school uniform.
- The children will travel up in the morning to arrive at the O2 for lunch and an afternoon rehearsal. The concert starts at 7pm in the evening and finishes around 9pm. The coach usually arrives back at school nearer 11pm. Mrs Smith gives permission for children attending the concert to come in slightly later than usual (but by morning break) if it helps them overcome some of the tiredness! If you would also like to travel on the coach with us we may have a limited number of places (first come first served) so please inform the office if you would like to reserve one.
KEEP WATCHING THIS SPACE for more information.
PRIMARY SCHOOLS HITCHIN FESTIVAL - WEDS 5TH JULY
The choir performed as part of the Primary Schools' Hitchin Festival on Wednesday 5th July at St Mary's Church in the town centre. They sung beautifully and represented our school very well, singing with other schools and also on their own.
FAIR IN THE SQUARE - SATURDAY 6TH MAY
Thank you to all choir who came along to sing at the Fair in the Square. It was a challenge singing outdoors with lots of background noise, but we did it! And we received some wonderful comments about our good sound and enthusiasm!
CHRISTCHURCH LUNCH CLUB SINGING - THURSDAY 27TH APRIL
The Year 5 and 6 choir members walked into town to entertain the older residents of the community at the Christchurch Lunch club. There was an audience of about 30 people who came to listen to our performances including some of the Young Voices songs, our school song Reaching Higher and a couple of songs that everyone could join in with, Long Way to Tipperary and When the Saints Go Marching In!