The school choir is run by Mrs Parker, the Music leader. It runs on a Monday after school. During the year, the choir perform in many places in Hitchin and further afield. The highlight of the year is always the trip to the Young Voices festival at the O2 arena in London every January.
Please collect your children from the door by the canteen, as last year. If your child is unable to attend then please send a letter to Mrs Parker letting her know that you will be collecting them at 3pm instead. We really need all choir members to be at most (if not all) rehearsals as we have so much to learn for the amazing Young Voices concert in January. Thank you.
YOUNG VOICES CONCERT - O2 ARENA - WEDNESDAY 31ST JANUARY 2018
- NEW INFORMATION: VERY EXCITING YOUNG VOICES APP - Don't forget to download the YV App. We will be using it throughout the day to upload photos to a private picture wall for you to see. You can also use the 'Find My Child' function to make it easier to find where we are in the arena. The code is PAR1260.
- Letters have already gone out informing you of next year's Young Voices concert at none other than the prestigious O2 Arena in London. Thank you for all of your replies. We have now informed the organisers of final numbers so are not able to offer any extra places unfortunately.
- We have already started learning lots of the songs for this amazing concert. Every choir member has been given a copy of all the words they need to learn between now and January. It seems plenty of time, but with Christmas taking up a lot of choir time too, it soon goes quickly! So please do encourage them to sing along at home and learn the words (especially the lesser known ones such as 'Pop Goes the Classics', 'You're in the Band' and 'Stevie Wonderland'.
- If you would like to listen to the songs, follow this link to take you to a website that features them all: http://www.malvern-wells.worcs.sch.uk/yv-2018-backing-track-with-vocals/ (There are also copies of the lyrics on this website.)
- I will be posting information up on the website so do check back from time to time and keep a look out for any letters. The next one will be just before half term asking you to make any further ticket requests so we can try and get the best seats possible for you to watch your child. It will also be asking for coach travel costs (we are currently trying to get the best price).
- The children will travel up in the morning to arrive at the O2 for lunch and an afternoon rehearsal. The concert starts at 7pm in the evening and finishes around 9pm. The coach usually arrives back at school nearer 11pm. Mrs Smith gives permission for children attending the concert to come in slightly later than usual (but by morning break) if it helps them overcome some of the tiredness! If you would also like to travel on the coach with us we may have a limited number of places (first come first served) so please inform the office if you would like to reserve one.
KEEP WATCHING THIS SPACE for more information.
PRIMARY SCHOOLS HITCHIN FESTIVAL - WEDS 5TH JULY
The choir performed as part of the Primary Schools' Hitchin Festival on Wednesday 5th July at St Mary's Church in the town centre. They sung beautifully as part of the larger choir and also representing our school. The joint songs with the other schools were 'Respect', 'Choices', 'Moving On' and 'Needs, Wants, Rights'. We chose to sing out well rehearsed favourites 'Tomorrow' and 'Hard Knock Life' from Annie.
We are sorry to say goodbye to our Year 6 choir members (who all receive a certificate and CD of songs from Wilshere-Dacre as a thank you for their years of commitment to our choir). However we look forward to the new choir forming in September.
Year 5 and 6 Choir Singing at Christchurch Lunch Club - April 2017
We sang a variety of songs for the audience including versions of popular classics such as 'Oh When the Saints Go Marching In' and 'Its a Long Way to Tipperary' which even encouraged them to join in with us!
The children did us proud as usual, singing their hearts out with tremendous expression and enthusiasm. We have been asked to return to sing again in the Autumn.